Monday, October 19, 2009

Tonawanda Moonlight Paddle 9/4/09

Hello everyone! I am Adrienne Kina, the new Citizen Action Volunteer Coordinator here at Buffalo Niagara RIVERKEEPER. I am an Americorps member and will be with RIVERKEEPER for a year. If you ever have any questions about volunteering, rain barrels, EcoTours or general questions feel free to ask!

"Moonlight Success"

By: Adrienne Kina

Unloading six long canoes and hauling the other five shiny kayaks down to the water’s edge, I knew this Moonlight Paddle EcoTour would be one to remember. The 23 of us piled into the canoes two-by-two or hopped into single kayaks. We were a bit wobbly at first, but quickly found our balance as we set off up the Tonawanda Creek. It was picturesque—our pack of paddlers, with the sun low behind us in a cloudless, balmy sky. Ahead of us the moon began its ascent into the atmosphere. The colossal, scarlet orb rose leisurely as a curtain of darkness fell around us.

Our experienced guide taught us about the creek’s ecosystem, while we learned firsthand through the musical samplings and brief sightings of its wildlife. With the moon as our leading light, we followed the twists and turns of the creek, discovering new surprises around every bend. After an hour’s tour up-stream, we had to turn our backs on the moon and begin our journey home. Slicing through the thick mysterious water, we paddled more diligently than before due to the chilly night air stinging our faces and toes. There was little conversation on the way back, as everyone zoned in on the night’s wonders and concentrated on the rhythmic strokes.

Back on land we circled up to discuss the paddle. “It was magical,” one of the kayakers mused. The other paddlers declared the event a wonder, voicing opinions such as, “I’ve never experienced anything like it,” “the smells were so strong, I think I smelled asparagus,” and “I loved it!” At that point, I knew the Moonlight Paddle was a success. I smiled as I thought of my contribution in making this Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper event possible. It was clear to me that the participants left the EcoTour with a new appreciation for our Buffalo Niagara waterways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home