Friday, July 14, 2006

Riverkeeper Intern- Contact Me About Blogging

As an environmental studies major at the University at Buffalo, I had the opportunity to be the first intern for the Riverkeepers from my program. The Riverkeeper team has graciously embraced my willingness and enthusiasm to be a part of the group. Even though I grew up in Buffalo, I never experienced or even learned about the Buffalo River until the end of last semester in one my Great Lakes Ecology classes. The knowledge that I have obtained is something worth sharing and promoting; therefore, I have concentrated my work with the group as a community outreach coordinator. Along with Shannon and Robin, we have focused our efforts on tabling local events, web updating and design, upcoming cleanups, and even this blog. The need for clean water is not only important for the ecosystem but also for the local residents. The Riverkeepers relentless work has provided Western New York with the hope that the waterways will be restored and preserved for many years to come. With our outreach efforts, the goal is to reach the uninformed and I can admit that I was once one of them!

It is with my best intentions that this Blog works out for the Riverwatch Captains. Riverwatch Captains can only post on this blog, but the public can view it anytime to check it out and can make comments too. To all members of the blog, if you have any questions please contact me. After your first post, you will not be able to stop!

2 Comments:

At Fri Aug 18, 12:49:00 PM, Blogger COSEE Great Lakes said...

Great Work Megan! Glad to hear our class inspired you. Keep it up!

Lauren

 
At Sat Sep 09, 07:04:00 AM, Blogger TonawandaHap said...

I haave been watching several cormorants feeding along the Tonawanda shoreline downstream of Two Mile Creek for the past week.
I'm not sure of their feeding preferences. Do they go after gobis or anything in particular? I know there was a growing colony on Motor Island several years ago. Thye displace other species in short order and I think seeing them this far downstream means they are a large flock now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home